The University has been awarded Institutional Strategic Support Funding (ISSF) from Wellcome. In addition to supporting research, there are two funding schemes to support FBMH academic staff and postgraduate students to develop and deliver public engagement activity on the theme of biomedical research and health.
The purpose of this funding is to encourage imaginative and innovative public engagement, this may include reaching audiences that are not typically served through traditional engagement activities, working across academic disciplines, combining art and sciences, developing novel activities. Cross-faculty collaboration is strongly encouraged and joint applications with colleagues in the Faculty of Science and Engineering or the Faculty of Humanities will be given priority.
There is a third funding scheme to support professional development related to public engagement open to staff and postgraduate students from all faculties.
The three grant schemes, as below, run two funding rounds per year. The deadline for submissions is Monday 5 November 2018. Decisions will be announced by 7 December 2018.
Scheme 1: Emerging Engagement – up to £500
- For individuals or groups with limited experience of public engagement. Applicants must include at least one FBMH academic staff member or postgraduate student.
- No requirement to match fund
- For example, to fund the creation of imaginative activities to communicate research
- Successful applicants will receive support with ideas development, planning and logistics and evaluation
Scheme 2: Established Engagement – up to £3000
- For individuals or groups who are experienced in public engagement. Application must be led by an FBMH academic member of staff.
- Requirement to provide matched funding for the full amount requested
- For example, to fund a large creative and/or collaborative project to engage underserved audiences with research
- Successful applicants will receive support with evaluating impact and delivering a legacy
Scheme 3: Professional Development – up to £2,000
- To support professional development related to public engagement. Open to staff and postgraduate students from all faculties.
- No requirement to match fund
- For example, to fund attending a public engagement course, or to facilitate a placement at a relevant organisation
- Successful applicants will receive support with writing applications for further public engagement funding, identifying or arranging a placement and mentoring
Help with applying
Applicants are encouraged to discuss their ideas and seek guidance at an early stage by contacting any of the following:
- Public Programmes Team, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 276 3215
- Social Responsibility and Public Engagement Manager, FBMH, email@example.com or 0161 306 6797
- Social Responsibility Manager, Humanities, Claire.firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 275 5183
- Social Responsibility Manager, FSE, Daniele.Atkinson@manchester.ac.uk
Submitting an application
Please download the: ISSF PE Funding_Information for applications_2018-19_Round1_v2 (pdf) document for further details and the relevant application form for Scheme 1+2: (ISSF Application Form_2018-19_Round1_Schemes 1+2) (doc) or Scheme 3: (ISSF Application Form_2018-19_Round1_Scheme 3) (doc).
Posted on behalf of Emily Robinson, PhD PPI/E Project Manager, Public Programmes Team