An opportunity for NERC researchers at Manchester…
Are you involved in environmental science research? Are you interested in inspiring families in your science? Would you like to be involved with a brilliant project which will engage 100,000 children and adults across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales?
If so, register your interest to take part in our Operation Earth training academy on Tuesday 6 February 2018 at the Natural History Museum, London (to be confirmed). There are 20 places available.
The form (https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/5MY2VN9) must be submitted by 5pm on Thursday 11 January 2018.
Operation Earth is an inspirational and exciting NERC-funded national hands-on environmental science programme, led by the ASDC (Association for Science and Discovery Centres), celebrating the science of the natural environment. It will explore the latest research and the scientists who make it happen, through activities and experiments for families and the wider public delivered through 11 of the UK’s science and discovery centres and science museums:
- Catalyst, Cheshire
- Techniquest Glyndŵr, Wrexham
- Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh
- Eden Project, Cornwall
- Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, Manchester
- Natural History Museum, London
- National Space Centre, Leicester
- Oxford University Museum of Natural History
- The Observatory Science Centre, Sussex
- Thinktank, Birmingham
- W5, Belfast
How might researchers get involved?
Each of the science and discovery centres and science museums running Operation Earth will be linking a show, hands-on activities and any other events to real science and scientists. Most typically, this involves ‘meet the expert’-style sessions, but each organisation is running this in their own personal way. Researchers can take part in the Operation Earth training academy in order to:
- Learn more very high quality methods of communicating science to 6-11 year-olds and their families
- Understand the Operation Earth project and how they can get involved through their local centre or museum
- Try out the hands-on activities designed for the project.
Please see full information about the project on the NERC webpages (http://www.nerc.ac.uk/press/releases/2017/29-asdc/).
Posted on behalf of Hannah King, Public Engagement Officer, Natural Environment Research Council T: +44 (0)1793 411572 | E: email@example.com