University of Manchester Postgraduates and Undergraduates – if you love science and engaging with the public then we want to hear from you!
The University of Manchester is recruiting Science Buskers to support public engagement events taking place during 2017, including British Science Week (March) and Community Open Day (June). We are are seeking enthusiastic postgraduates and undergraduates from all disciplines (registered at the University) who are interested in inspiring and engaging the general public in some science fun. No prior experience needed!
We’re holding a free information and training session to help you decide (and we’ll give you lunch too) – Wednesday 8 February.
What will you do?
Science Busking involves approaching people, showing them intriguing and entertaining science demonstrations or tricks – much like street magicians! As a Science Busker, you will help to enthuse and engage visitors, bringing the fun and wonder of hands-on science tricks to the streets of Manchester. You will get to meet and work with like-minded people and enjoy a positive and memorable experience
Whether this is your first foray or you are already experienced in the art of science communication we want to hear from you!
You need to be:
- Outgoing, friendly and confident: You’ll be working with family audiences from children to grandparents, so you need to be comfortable talking to a range of people.
- Intrigued by science: you don’t need a qualification, but an interest and enthusiasm for science and the ability to communicate scientific concepts clearly.
- Willing to learn: We’ll put you through science busking training, so you are fully prepared.
- Reliable and committed: If you are selected we will ask you to commit to 2 hours of science busking at one of the forthcoming events taking place on campus.
What you can expect from us:
- Training and mentoring.
- All the busking kit you’ll need to become a Science Busker.
- A UoM Science Busker branded t-shirt to wear on the day.
- Some healthy snacks to keep your energy levels up.
- Valuable experience of working on high-profile public engagement events.
- Certificate of participation.
How can you get involved?
We are running an information and training day on Wednesday 8 February, 12:30 – 15:30 in University Place, 4.206. (Lunch voucher provided). You can attend the training and then decide if science busking is for you. So why not sign up here – https://app.manchester.ac.uk/FEPSS8852
If you do decide that science busking is for you, you will be invited to attend a 1 hour mentored practice at Manchester Museum on Wednesday 15 February 2017. You’ll then have the opportunity to take part in a number of University public engagement events taking place throughout the year.
Please note this opportunity is only open to staff and students registered at The University of Manchester.