Booking now closed (Updated 9 November 2015)
Would you like the opportunity to develop an outreach activity and engage with a local secondary school? Are you passionate about your subject area? Are you interested in taking your research into the classroom? Want to develop your outreach skills? Then this free public engagement training opportunity is for you!
What: SUPI: Engaging with Secondary Schools
When: Wednesday 11 November 2015, 9:30am – 5pm
Where: The University of Manchester
Who: Postgraduate Researchers, Postdoctoral Research Associates, Research Staff and New Academics with little or no experience of school outreach.
About the training
This one-day, interactive workshop for researchers explores the why, what and how of engaging with secondary schools.
On this practical course you will:
- Explore how engaging with schools can benefit you, your research and the schools with whom you engage.
- Explore the collaborative nature of developing effective working partnerships with schools and teachers.
- Consider a range of methods and approaches for presenting contemporary research and the research process from all disciplines to secondary school pupils.
- Improve your familiarity with the current school environment (including curriculum, operational protocols, and positive learning environments).
- Enhance a range of skills including communication, collaboration, and project management.
- Generate activity ideas for bringing contemporary and inspirational research contexts into formal and informal learning to enhance and enrich the curriculum.
- Develop evaluation and reflective mechanisms for assessing the impact of your activities as well as your own professional development.
And there’s additional funding and support
But we don’t just want to inspire you with great ideas. We want to help you develop those ideas into concrete plans! This course is all about developing confidence, networks, and experience in engaging with local secondary schools.
Following the one-day workshop you will look to develop your ideas for an outreach activity to pitch at the follow up Dragon’s Den event. Winning ideas will be given funds and matched-up with a secondary school. And you will be supported along the way with optional drop-in surgeries, where you can talk through the development of your ideas with experienced engaging researchers.
Take a look at the some the projects we have funded in previous years:
- Social Sciences – Your car is not a coat!
- Biology – Diabetes
- English – Will the real me please stand up
- Psychology – Learning to remember
- Engineering – Wingin’ It
To apply, please complete the short application form here: http://goo.gl/forms/SDLuyau5IH
Places will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis.
If you have any queries please email: email@example.com
What is the School-University Partnerships Initiative (SUPI)?
The Research Councils UK (RCUK) funded School-University Partnership Initiative (SUPI) is a scheme providing opportunities for schools and universities to bring contemporary research to life for young people. Find out more here: www.supi.manchester.ac.uk and www.rcuk.ac.uk/pe/PartnershipsInitiative/