Want to become a University of Manchester Science Busker? We’re holding an information and training session to help you decide…
The University is taking part in a number of public facing events in the coming months and we are seeking enthusiastic postgraduates and undergraduates from all disciplines who are interested in inspiring and engaging the general public in some science fun.
What will you do?
Science Busking involves approaching people, showing them intriguing and entertaining science demonstrations or tricks – much like street magicians! As a Science Busker, you will help to enthuse and engage with hundreds of Festival visitors, bringing the fun and wonder of hands-on science tricks to the streets of Manchester. You will get to meet and work with like-minded people and enjoy a positive and memorable experience.
Whether this is your first foray or you are already experienced in the art of science communication we want to hear from you!
You need to be:
- Outgoing, friendly and confident: You’ll be working with family audiences from children to grandparents, so you need to be comfortable talking to a range of people.
- Intrigued by science: you don’t need a qualification, but an interest and enthusiasm for science and the ability to communicate scientific concepts clearly.
- Willing to learn: We’ll put you through science busking training, so you are fully prepared.
- Reliable and committed: For each opportunity we advertise, we ask you to commit to 3-4 hours of science busking. (You get to choose what opportunities you’d like to take part in).
What you can expect from us:
- Training and mentoring.
- All the busking kit you’ll need to become a Science Busker.
- A UoM Science Busker branded t-shirt to wear on the day.
- Valuable experience of working on a high-profile public engagement projects.
How can you get involved?
We are running an information and training day on Tuesday 8 April 2014, 9:30 – 14:15 (includes lunch) in the Sackville Street Building. You can attend the training and then decide if science busking is for you. So why not sign up?
To apply, send an email to Alex.Hinchliffe@manchester.ac.uk, with the following details:
- Your name:
- Your preferred email:
- Your school:
- A brief statement about what why you would like to be a Science Busker (100 words max)
Forthcoming science busking opportunities:
Once you have attended a training session, you will be eligible to take part in any number of forthcoming opportunities, including Bollington Festival (May), MHS/FLS Community Open Day (June), Universities Week (June), Manchester Science Festival (October) and more!
Posted by Dee-Ann Johnson, Communications Officer, Graduate & Researcher Development, The University of Manchester | 0161 306 4155